Welcome To Miss Mason’s Music
I am so glad you are here!
“The Habit of Praise.– Perhaps we do not attach enough importance to the habit of praise in our children’s devotion. Praise and thanksgiving come freely from the young heart; gladness is natural and holy, and music is a delight.”
School Education, Volume 3
I believe at the heart of Mason’s philosophy is a habit of praise to her great God, revealed to us in Christ, the saviour of the world! In all of her writings and even in many Parents’ Review articles, we see the centrality of Christ and being serviceable towards others as the main goals of her educational ideals. Through music, we are able to worship, express emotion, and bless others in a way that words alone can never accomplish. I pray that as you join me here, that you would find joy, delight, and learn with your family a means of loving God and serving neighbor. It will be through excellence in music appreciation and literacy that we can express our devotion, praise and thanksgiving to the Lord in a way that brings true delight.
We see in Scripture that Music and Dancing can be used as a means of expression and worship.
The Psalmist writes:
“Praise the LORD!
Sing to the LORD a new song,
his praise in the assembly of the godly!
Let Israel be glad in his Maker;
let the children of Zion rejoice in their King!
Let them praise his name with dancing,
making melody to him with tambourine and lyre!”
The women rejoiced with singing and dancing after Pharaoh’s army is destroyed in the Red Sea.
Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a tambourine in her hand,
and all the women went out after her with tambourines and dancing.
And Miriam sang to them: “Sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously;
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.” Exodus 15:20-21
And Job expresses internal churning and suffering with musical instruments:
The churning inside me never stops;
days of suffering confront me.
I go about blackened, but not by the sun;
I stand up in the assembly and cry for help.
I have become a brother of jackals,
a companion of owls.
My skin grows black and peels;
my body burns with fever.
My lyre is tuned to mourning,
and my pipe to the sound of wailing.
My name is Heid Buschbach and I have been using Charlotte Mason’s methods in my homeschool for about 9 years now. I was a music major and have spent the last year doing in-depth research into the musical portions of the PNEU programmes, Mason’s volumes and the Parents’ Review. I have created Miss Mason’s Music to support you as you pursue music and movement education in a Charlotte Mason paradigm. This research experience has left me feeling very impressed with Mason’s music education scope and sequence!! I am quite convinced that Mason’s programmes were very thorough, and I believe if I personally worked through her scope and sequence today (even after 4 years of university study), I would come away with a better, more complete music education than the one I got in college. Her ideas really are life-giving and complete!
Here at Miss Mason’s Music you will find free and membership based resources!
Free Access to Research:
- An introduction to Charlotte Mason and her philosophy
- A Broad Overview of Principles for each of the four components to music education – Drill, Singing, Music Appreciation, and Piano/Instrumental Instruction (These can be found by clicking on the subject tabs at the very top of the page.)
- Mason’s Scope & Sequence for each of these four subjects – which will include Time-tables, Charts that summarize the books Mason used, and the practices and methods prescribed by Mason in her primary sources (PR, Volumes, and Programmes) to help you understand and apply them today
- Resource Page with links to songs and Public domain and modern books and classes
- Help with Scheduling your Lessons
- Sample lessons
The Yearly Membership will also give you access to:
- Lesson Plans as a part of my Beta Program – Go here to see course descriptions and what will be added regularly throughout this first year.
- Audio recordings
- Digitized Living Music Books and Resources not found anywhere else!
How to use this site:
- First thing is to subscribe and Join us! as a Free Member so you don’t miss any new resources, release of new lessons or other exciting news!
- If you are interested in utilizing the Lesson Plans and videos, purchase a Yearly Membership for just $15 for our Beta Program Launch Year Families! This is a discounted rate as I will be building content through out the year. Here are the course descriptions and content that will be added through the year.
- Next, if you are new to Charlotte Mason, make sure you read a bit about her philosophy so that you can implement music lessons with a good foundation, based on Mason’s principles instead of just checking off the boxes and going through the motions.
- Take some time as a teacher to educate yourself and read through the research-based Broad Overviews and Scope and Sequences for each Musical Subject so you can be prepared to teach your children with joy and competence.
- Utilize the Resource Page to find things you need.
- And the best part of all, Members will get access to all Lesson plans, Videos, Audios for Dancing, Musical Drill, Solfege, Folksongs, Music Appreciation, Piano Lessons, etc.
Please see the buttons at the top of the page to Join as a free or paying member, learn about Mason’s philosophy, and access the resources. You can also read about how to schedule music subjects into your weekly lessons! I share about why I started the site as well. The main tabs at the very top of the page can be used to navigate to each music subject as you learn more about Drill, Singing, Music Appreciation, and Instrumental Music!